Sabuj (Sabooj) Sathi Scheme In West Bengal
After the free bicycle scheme where girl children used to get bicycle for freely attending schools, the Chief Minister of West Bengal Smt. Mamata Banerjee has launched another scheme namely Sabuj Sathi Scheme under which not only girls but boys as well will get free bicycles from state government.
Key Features Sabuj (Sabooj) Sathi Scheme
- Objective: This scheme was launched to empower the children of the rural Bengal. The scheme originally started with girl child but now boys will get the cycles too so that no more drop out from the higher education will take place.
- The name and logo: The name Sabuj (which means green or children) was given by the CM herself. Sathi that means companion was also named by the CM. The log was designed by Mamata Banerjee that shows a kid with two wheels in both his side.
- Bicycles distribution: As mentioned the scheme originally started with the girl children. After a while it got extended and now the boy students too will get the cycles to go to school every day.
- Vision: According to the state authority the vision behind the scheme is to encourage today’s generation to move forward toward their goals in future. The motto of giving cycle to them is to make push them towards a better and brighter future.
- Phases: There are two phases of the scheme, as per the report. In one phase total of 25 Lac students will get bicycles and the rest 15 Lac students will get theirs in the second phase. The two phases will take place in two consecutive years that is 2015-16 and 2016-17.
- Implementation: Hero Moto Corp has grabbed the official order for the distribution of bicycles in 8900 numbers of schools. Around 2500 delivery points have been selected where 7, 50, 000 bicycles will be sent for 40 Lac students across the state.
- The students will have to be the residents of West Bengal. No refugees, migrants or citizens from other states will be eligible for the scheme.
- Only school students from rural areas will get the facility from this scheme. Working or college students will be excused from the scheme.
- Students from 9th standard to 12th standard will be eligible for the scheme. Students who are studying in lower grades will not get the facility.
In recent times there were many complaints about the quality of the bicycles as they kept breaking. CM Smt. Mamata Banerjee has ordered for new set of better quality bicycles that will have at least 3 years of guarantee.
The scheme namely Sabuj Sathi Scheme was launched by the CM of West Bengal Smt. Mamata Banerjee in the year 2015. It was an event when she was asked by a male school student that why only girl child would will get the cycle not us. After that the CM has launched this scheme under which all the students (male and female) will get the bicycle so that they can attend school regularly and safely.
The scheme will be supervised by the state government of West Bengal. Finance Minister of the state has already sanctioned the money for the first phase of the scheme. From September 2015 the first distribution has started in Midnapur district.